Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Assignment #6 - Portraits



This is my nephew Gavin. He is the same nephew that wiped his hands all over my lens. I took alot of pictures of him and this was my favorite. I told him to pretend to be asleep and he had a hard time not laughing. That is why he has a little smirk on his face. I had a hard time choosing between this pic and another one of him eating a donut. I choose this one because it says more about my nephew as a joking, teasing, funny kid.



This is my sister Kaile. She is crazy fast at typing and to show it I tried to blur her hands. It did not work perfectly but I like the way I framed the picture. It looks better from above than it would from the side. From the side there were things in the background that take away your attention from my sister. From above there is nothing else to focus on other than my sister, her note book, and the key pad. This picture was hard to take because I had to stand on the edge of my kitchen counter to get the aerial shot. My feet kept popping into the picture and when I moved them I almost fell off the counter.



This is my brother eating my moms split pea soup. I used the white wall behind him for many of my pictures. It is perfect because it is by the biggest window in my house. I like his expression. It is not totally candid because I told him to stop what he was doing and freeze.



This picture is totally candid. I was taking pictures of my sister and I started a fake argument. Her pets always die as soon as she gets them. I bought her a pet turtle for christmas one year and it died soon after. I started talking to her about how it was her fault and started to take pictures. If you flip through the pictures you can tell that she was talking or arguing. This picture is her "Ready to Defend Myself" picture. When we tease her this is the face she gets.



This picture came before I started the argument. My sister always reads. She will not put a book down if she gets into it. I always tease her about her books wether they are about dragons, whitches, or some other mythical creature. I put the book down to show her readiness to defend herself.



This photo is candid and I really like it. I started asking my brother questions about what he brought home from his trip to California. He went into and explanation and I was able to get the shot. I really like that he is blurry in this picture. And his expression could tell one hundred stories. This one is just an explanation.



This is Kaile again reading her "amazon" kindle thing. Her expression looks like she is pondering or thinking about something complex. It was hard to keep the windows out of this picture. If I would have taken the picture a bit higher I would have alot of light causing a distracting background. This picture turned out well in the end.



This is probably my favorite for this assignment. I love how blurry it is especially her hands. Even though she is not in focus the picture tells alot about her. I had my camera on a tripod for this picture and it was hard to keep the legs out of the picture. The picture tells me that my mom does alot for my family as expressed by the laundry.



The hardest part of this assignment was shooting myself. However I think that the portraits of myself turned out really well. I had my dad hold a towel behind me to try and get a good background. I never listen to music by myself. I never really have and so I found huge headphones. I send about 5 texts messages in 1 week and the messages are usually to my mom or dad about where to pick me up. Thats why I showed myself texting. We did not end up taking the picture from the front but the computer had face book on it. I do not have a face book account and I think people get to obsessed with it.



This picture rivals the one of my mom. My sister has always loved art (and photo) but she never took any classes because she wanted to shoot and draw what she wanted instead of an assignment. I really like how close I got and the focus is very very good. The pencil adds to the picture and gets the viewer thinking about the photo.

This assignment was the most difficult. Portraits are not easy especially if you procrastinate taking them to get a feel for the assignment. I think I did very well in the end and I can say that I worked harder on this assignment than any of my others. I am not the best photographer but I am improving and I believe that I am a much better one now than at the start of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment